Painter and conservator Louis Ehlers (1916-1998) collected Danish earthenware throughout his entire life.
His passion for earthenware resulted in what is now Northern Europe's largest collection of locally produced ceramics from the period 1500 to 1900.
The collection features both earthenware used in daily life from all regions of Denmark as well as numerous pieces of 'artistic earthenware' from the nineteenth and twentieth century by artists such as Thorvald Bindesbøll.
However, Ehlers didn't content himself with earthenware; he also collected embroidered samplers, furniture, cultural artifacts, half dolls, biscuit tins and an impressive amount of pushpins.
These large collections are exhibited in one of Haderslev's oldest and most beautiful houses, namely Philip Skifferdækker's well-preserved, half-timbered Renaissance house from the late 1570s.
Inside the house, rare panel paintings from the seventeenth century have been preserved.
Outside, the museum shares a garden with the neighboring building, which houses Haderslev Town Museum. In the garden, visitors will find a recently constructed pottery workshop where a local potter occasional displays her work.